In this section, you can find out more about:
The Creative Production and Technical Skills (CPTS) project is a partnership between Creative & Cultural Skills and the Federation of Scottish Theatre. Its purpose is to develop technical and production training, skills and career progression for the performing arts, live events and wider creative industries in Scotland.
The CPTS project has four key strands:
- a schools engagement programme,
- a programme aimed at further and higher education students;
- a series of supported apprenticeships and;
- continuing professional development programme
It is the continuing professional development element that the Federation of Scottish Theatre is leading on. This strand of the project is responsible for:
- the Production and Technical Leadership Forum
- the Production and Technical Placement Bursary,
- the Training Fund,
- the commissioning of new training opportunities,
- sign-posting existing resources.
Creative Production and Technical Skills Leadership Forum (CPTS Forum)
The CPTS Forum meets twice per year and is open access. The forum brings together practitioners in the production and technical field from both education and industry to discuss and develop best practice in training, qualifications and skills and to acts as an action learning set for the forum members.
If you are interesetd in being part of this forum please email Emma Beatt on email@example.com for more information.
Two CPTS Technical Forums took place in 2016:
- On 24 June 2016 at The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- On 11 November 2016 at The Beacon Arts Centre, Greenock.
The 2017 dates will be announced at the beginning of the year but in the meantime, if you have any questions please email Emma Beatt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are the documents and related papers from the previous CPTS meetings.
- CPTS Agenda
- four previous minutes: CPTS Forum Notes 27/9/13, CPTS Forum Notes 7/2/14, CPTS Forum Notes 20/6/14, CPTS forum Notes 15/06/2015
- three documents on CDM/HSE guidance: FST - CDM FAQ Sheet, Draft CDM guidance 1, Draft CDM guidance 2
- discussion paper 'Purpose, Scope and Membership of the CPTS Forum'
- current Technical Forum mailing list
The Production and Technical Placement Bursary: Currently on hold. More info to follow in due course.
The Production & Technical Bursary is designed for companies, organisations, venues and employers. It allows you to engage a recent graduate from a technical or production skills subject course in a work placement for up to 12 weeks.
This opportunity has no closing date. Proposals may be submitted at any time for placements taking place up to 18 months from the date of application. Please note that previous recipients of the bursary are not eligible to apply again.
For more information please download: The Production and Technical Placement Bursary notes
CPTS Training Fund: Currently on hold. More info to follow in due course.
The training fund helps technicians, electricians, operators, crew, stage management, prop makers, wardrobe staff, workshop staff, casual staff - anyone working in a technical theatre or production role in Scotland, at any stage of their professional career to access training (in a production or technical skill area) by helping to cover the cost of courses and (reasonable) travel expenses.
The fund welcomes applications from all areas of production or technical theatre. People working on freelance basis can apply for up to £200 and those employed on a full- or part-time basis can apply for up to £100 towards their training costs.
Download: Training Fund Application Notes
If you would like to find out more about the Creative Production & Technical Skills Project please contact us.