This fund has been set up in the memory of Euan Turner, the FST’s Health and Safety advisor who passed away in June 2015. The purpose of the Euan Turner Training Fund is to financially support freelance and employed Technical, Production and Stage management personnel in the Performing Arts Sector in Scotland, who might not otherwise be able to afford it, to undertake training for nationally recognised Health and Safety qualifications.
Euan spent more than 20 years in health and safety, mostly in theatres. He was known for his common-sense and accessible way of introducing health and safety in theatre and for making sure that everyone involved in a production understood their responsibilities relating to health and safety. He also understood that the costs of full H&S training can be prohibitive for freelancers and those working for smaller theatre companies. With this fund, FST would like to celebrate the memory of our dear colleague by making it easier for those people to access the training.
This fund will be awarded twice annually for recognised training courses taking place in the following 9 months.
The next IOSH Managing Safely Course run by FST will take place between 25 and 28 April 2017.
12 noon, 3 March 2017
Please contact Emma Beatt if you have any questions
Please note we have recently revised the terms of eligibility and levels of funding available as part of this fund making it open to more applicants and making it more generous.
We would like to encourage organisations to recommend the Euan Turner Training Fund to freelance technical/stage management staff you regularly work with as well as considering it for your own employed staff.
We would also encourage freelance technical, production and stage management practitioners to apply.
Who Can Apply:
- Technical, Production and Stage Management personnel based in Scotland who are either:
- Freelance or work as a casual member of staff in the performing arts.
- Are employed full or part-time in a theatre or performing arts organisation with a turnover of under £750,000 per annum.
- Additionally, employed staff in organisations with a turnover of over £750,000 can apply for a limited number of places on more advanced training courses as outlined below.
Please note this fund
- Is available for individuals who have at least 12 months professional experience in production, stage management or technical roles in the performing arts.
- Will only support course fees and will not support any related costs such as travel, expenses or accommodation
Can only to be used for attending:
IOSH Managing Safely not IOSH Refresher
NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
NCRQ Level 6 Certificate in Applied Health and Safety
· Training must be provided by an accredited training provider in the UK. For information on upcoming FST IOSH Managing Safely courses please contact Emma Beatt.
· In order to apply for support towards attending either the NEBOSH or NCRQ courses you must hold an up to date IOSH Managing Safely qualification and demonstrate how it would give added benefit to your work, your organisation and the wider sector – e.g. how you may share your learning with others.
· As the main purpose of the fund is to enable people who would not normally be able to afford it to get their first entry-level H&S qualifications, the majority of awards will be for studying for IOSH Managing Safely. We will therefore make a limited number of awards (around 2 per annum) for study for the higher level NEBOSH or NCRQ qualifications.
FST is very grateful for the fundraising and generous donations by Euan’s family and friends, FST members and performing arts colleagues in the wider sector, which have made this fund possible.