FST represents a network of over 200 professional performing arts organisations and individuals throughout Scotland including main house producers, presenting venues, touring companies, companies working in schools and communities, companies producing and presenting work for children, dance companies, local authority venues and educational establishments.
FST undertakes advocacy at a national level with government and funding bodies, co-ordinates capacity building initiatives and provides training, advice and other services to members to secure the creative future of dance, opera and theatre in Scotland.
Our plan for 2022/23 is varied and covers a wide range of activities which fit into those main themes:
We want more FST Members from the whole spectrum of job roles to get involved in FST activities, training and advocacy
We will keep reviewing FST’s training programme and CPD provision to make sure they are tailored to our members’ needs.
FST will collaborate with other organisations to support the sector in Health & Safety practice as well as in particular policy areas like Environment and Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion.
Develop and implement an impactful advocacy plan by employing an advocacy lead, working in partnership with a range of industry bodies and by concluding the State of Play strategy.
FST’ Vision, Mission and Aims:
- A confident and ambitious dance, opera and theatre sector creating work of the highest quality
- More people watching and participating in professional dance, opera and theatre from all communities across Scotland
- A well-resourced and managed dance, opera and theatre ecology
FST is the membership and development body for professional dance, opera and theatre in Scotland, bringing the sector together to speak with a collective voice, to share resources and expertise and to promote collaborative working.
- Support Scotland’s dance, opera and theatre sector to be a world leader in artistic and management practice
- Place dance, opera and theatre as a key component of Scotland’s civic and cultural life
- To ensure the long-term financial stability of FST and continually strive to be a well-managed and effective organisation, making the best use of resources
In 2016, FST celebrated its 40th Anniversary and here is a video celebrating the organisation’s achievements over that period of time: