YDance has been awarded funding from the Creative Scotland Youth Arts Fund to offer three young dance artists aged 21 – 25 the opportunity to work on a new project called Take Flight.
Take Flight uses children’s imagination and voice to create an outdoor performance. It is a project based on curiosity, collaboration and learning. It will be created and performed by the three Dance Artists and 90 pupils aged 8 – 12 from 3 schools in North Lanarkshire. Take Flight will develop a new approach to theatre and dance making through a creative collaboration between 3 schools, 3 teachers, 90 pupils, the YDance Creative Team and the three YDance dance artists who are recruited through this process.
The three positions offer young emerging dance practitioners a unique opportunity to develop their skills in creating, performing and teaching with the guidance of experienced YDance staff. They will be mentored by YDance Artistic Director Anna Kenrick and work alongside Linzi McLagan, Head of Education at YDance and Philippa Clark, theatre director, facilitator and educator.
The dance artists will develop their skills, knowledge and experience by:
- Engaging in CPD focusing on the development of personal teaching practice
- Developing knowledge and understanding of dance in education pedagogy and methodologies
- Developing critical refection and enquiry skills
- Engaging in 1 to 1 mentoring sessions with YDance staff to develop goals for the project
- Being involved in the creation and development of the Take Flight outdoors show with teachers and children
- Performing in the Take Flight outdoor shows
- Teaching and choregraphing with one class of pupils in North Lanarkshire for 10 weeks in the school playground to create material for the show
- Being involved in the planning and development meetings with teachers and creative team
- Being involved in the reflection and evaluation processes
- Being involved in evaluation collection and monitoring
This role is suitable for someone at an early stage in their career as a teaching artist and performer and will be supported with mentoring and training throughout the process.
For a full description and details on how to apply visit https://ydance.org/about-us/work-with-us/vacancies/