On 16 March 2021 BECTU published the key findings from their most recent sector survey. This survey’s sample was made up of nearly 4,000 workers in the creative industries and has revealed the serious impact of one year of the pandemic on workers in the creative industries.
The survey was completed by 3,957 respondents (96% of whom are Bectu members) between 19 February and 11 March 2021. Those completing the survey work in the film and TV industries, broadcasting, live events, cinemas, and cultural venues (including theatres).
Across all 3,957 respondents, key findings included:
- 34% are not currently working, either in the creative industries or another industry
- 30% have been made redundant or laid off at least once since March 2020
- 36% have received payments from the furlough scheme (CJRS)
- 20% have received payments from the SEISS
- 21% of those who needed support have not been able to access the SEISS or CJRS
- 77% have seen a drop in income (including income from the SEISS and CJRS)