In June 2020 FST convened an advisory group to provide clarity on Health and Safety matters for theatres & theatrical producing companies relating to CV-19.
The group will be meeting regularly in the coming weeks and months to collate and sign post to the most current and pertinent Government, professional and union guidance and we will publish new resources and advice in our resources section as they become available.
For further information on the working group please contact email@example.com
Scottish Government Guidance
The following Scottish Government guidance is available:
- The latest guidance for the performing arts and venues sector (published on 21 August 2020) can be found here.
- ‘Coronavirus in Scotland’ landing page.
- Phase 3 business and physical distance guidance.
- Risk assessment guidance for the workplace in relation to Covid-19 is here (easy read guidance available)
- Coronavirus (Covid 19) Test and protect guidance for employers.
- Public Health Scotland information and guidance for non-healthcare settings.
- General guidance for business in keeping safe during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Guidance on business keeping safe during the COVID-19 outbreak and those that must remain closed and exemptions.
- COVID-19 guidance for returning to work safely.
- Events sector guidance.
- Creative studios and shared workspaces guidance.
UK Government Guidance
The UK Government guidance for people who work in performing arts, including arts organisations, venue operators and participants can be found here.
*Please note that this guidance is not applicable in Scotland, however, it is similar to the Scottish Government guidance and may be useful for reference. FST continues to advocate for as close an approach as possible across the UK sector.
Professional Bodies Advice & Guidance
The Association of British Theatre Technicians (ABTT) is the UK’s principal professional body for backstage workers. They publish widely used guidance notes for many theatrical production and backstage activities. Their guidance notes 101 & 102 (COVID-19 Risk Assessments for Returning to Work in Places of Entertainment) can be downloaded here.
ABTT have now published their guidance note 103 Production and Technical Departments Safe Working Procedures and can be found here.
The ABTT also have a number of resources including example documents for arts organisations and commercial suppliers planning and risk assessment documents located here.
SOLT & UK Theatre have created an online platform which highlights a range of live and recorded webinars to equip the theatre industry with the tools to begin rebuilding after the COVID-19 lockdown ends, it also hosts links to Theatre specific Health and Safety Training. It is located here.
Unions Advice & Guidance
All of the UK Unions have produced guidance for their members on returning to work and working safely with Covid-19. Each of the major arts unions guidance is listed below:
- BECTU information can be found here
- Equity [to follow]
A number of training providers are now offering Covid-19 Awareness Training once the H&S Group have reviewed these courses links will be posted here.
- Managing Covid-19 Safely – SOLT & UK Theatre
(Discount available for FST Members)