The professional development and networking day for professional dance students and recent graduates.
Date: 21 February 2014
Venue: The Space @ Dundee College, Kingsway Campus, Old Glamis Road, Dundee, DD3 8LE
Tickets: £25 Dance UK members or £30 full price ( including 1 year Dance UK student membership)
On Friday 21 February 2014, Dance UK and partners Scottish Ballet, Scottish Dance Theatre, CityMoves Dance Agency, Dance Base, Y Dance, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, The Workroom, Federation of Scottish Theatre, Creative Scotland and Dance House, are hosting Launch, the professional development and networking day for dance students and recent graduates. This is taking place for the first time in Scotland.
The packed day is designed to help young dance professionals starting out in their careers to look at the options and pursue specific roles in the sector, including teacher, manager, company dancer, independent choreographer and everything in between.
The audience for the day are current students in professional training or studying dance at university, and recent graduates who want to get ahead in their careers. The day provides seminars and hands-on practical advice from both emerging and established dance professionals, who have all had amazing careers both as dancers and in the other diverse roles the dance profession offers, including producers, dance scientists and educators.
Northern Ballet dancer and speaker at Launch in Leeds 2013, Hannah Bateman, says: “It’s important that those who are currently active in the business can support emerging artists and it’s great to have an event outside London.”
Facilitators and speakers include:
• Lee Lappin, Creative Director, Scottish School of Contemporary Dance, Dundee and Angus College
• Morag Deyes MBE, Artistic Director, Dance Base
• Matt Foster, Associate Director, David Hughes Dance
• Amy Noble, Community Dance Manager, Dance Base
• Tim Tubbs, independent dance manager and producer
• James MacGillivray, Lecturer in Dance & Head of LC3, London Contemporary Dance School
The portfolio career is the reality for most dance artists and Launch intends to give an overview of the paths open to young dance professionals and how to access the variety of jobs on offer. Launch includes the chance to make new contacts and collect information.
Sessions at the event will include:
• chat show with dance professionals from diverse backgrounds
• introduction to finance for dancers and independent dance professionals
• introduction to working in education and community dance practice
• how to work with or become a producer
• working as a choreographer
• working in dance health
• how to audition
• how to write an Arts Council funding application
• a panel of emerging dance professionals who graduated from training in the last five years who will give their view of what to expect
Launch is set to inspire and empower a new generation of dancers and practitioners to better understand the nature of the dance sector in the UK and how to fully participate within it. One participant of Launch in Leeds 2013 stated: “Brilliant day – very well structured and organised. It has helped me to discover the potential avenues of work in dance.”
Tickets for the event are £25/£30. For further information and booking, visit www.danceuk.org/shop/events.